We Are The Church
Lesson 1: Welcoming
Below you will find the full curriculum for Lesson 1 of We Are The Church. Every lesson of this curriculum begins with an opening prayer and reflection followed by a mix of games, activities, and bible study. Each lesson ends with a closing discussion and prayer.
Along with the curriculum below we also have resources that have been specifically designed for those leading the curriculum. Click the button below to review those resources.
Opening Prayer and Reflection
Supplies: Candle (optional)
Start you day/time together by reflecting on the questions below. These questions are suggestions but feel free to come up with your own questions to start off your time together
· What is something you are excited to do today?
· What is one thing you are thankful for today?
Come up with one silly question to start you day. Example: If you could have one super power which one would you want and why?
* To mark this as a time set apart from the usual hustle and bustle, you may want to light a candle. (In the church we use candles to symbolize the presence of the Holy Spirit)
Supplies: Phone or Computer With Internet Access
For this activities we would like you to answer the questions you find at the link below. Others people like yourself will be participating in this poll as well.
After you have answered all the questions take some time to look at what other answers people gave. Answer the following questions about the results.
· What did you notice about the answers to the questions?
· In what ways were some of the answers different?
· Is there anything that is a similarity among all the group?
Psalm 122:1-9 (CEB)
I rejoiced with those who said to me, “Let’s go to the LORD’s house!” Now our feet are standing in your gates, Jerusalem! Jerusalem is built like a city joined together in unity. That is where the tribes go up— the LORD’s tribes! It is the law for Israel to give thanks there to the LORD’s name, because the thrones of justice are there— the thrones of the house of David! Pray that Jerusalem has peace: “Let those who love you have rest. Let there be peace on your walls; let there be rest on your fortifications.” For the sake of my family and friends, I say, “Peace be with you, Jerusalem.” For the sake of the LORD our God’s house I will pray for your good.
· What kinds of places do you get excited to go?
· What makes you want to go there?
· Who is there that you are happy to see?
· What do you do in that place that makes you want to go back?
· How do you feel when you visit that place?
· How do you feel when you enter a special or holy place?
Digging Deeper Questions
· What are some of the things that you like about Church?
· Are you ever excited, nervous, or scared to go to church? If so why?
· How do people make you feel welcome to be there?
· What are ways you can be welcoming to others?
· Can you think about a time when you didn’t feel welcome?
· What makes you feel un-welcome in a place?
· Why is it important for people to feel welcome in church?
· Who comes to mind when you think of welcoming others?
· What characteristics come to mind when you think of that person?
· What happens when we welcome others?
· What makes it hard sometimes to welcome those around us?
Design a Church
Supplies: Paper and Art Supplies or Legos or Recyclable materials, really anything you want!
If you haven’t noticed we are going to be talking a lot about what it means to be church over the next few days. So let’s start by designing our very own church. We can use the supplies in front of us to create whatever kind of church we want to. Big, small, detailed or not, this is time to create!
When you are finished feel free to post your creation to our online forum and spend some time looking at the designs created by other campers. Click here to visit our forums!
Facts About Me
Supplies: Phone or tablet with a camera and internet
Just like we see a building as the church, we also know that a church with no people is just a building. In many respects the church IS the people. As a part of that church we want to know a little about you and give you the chance to get to know others!
Take some time and record a 1 minute video of telling us a little bit about yourself. Start with the information below and then feel free to tell us more! (Remember, limit the video to 1 minute)
· Tell us your name, grade, and what church you attend, then one interesting thing you want us to know about yourself!
When you are done post your video to our forums and spend some time getting to know some of our other campers. Click here to go to our forums!
Closing Discussion and Prayer
Spend some time discussing and reflecting on this lesson and then close with a prayer.
· If we ARE the church then why do you think it’s important for us to be welcoming to others?
· What are some ways we could help our church be more welcoming?
· What is one thing you learned or enjoyed in this lesson and why?
Things to Remember:
We are The Church!
Welcoming others is the foundation of God’s love!
Closing Prayer: Loving and Gracious God, help us to remember that we ARE the church and that in your church all are welcome and loved! Amen!